UNHCR in Pakistan: An enduring partnership
UNHCR’s priority in Pakistan is to achieve lasting solutions for one of the largest and most protracted refugee situations in the world. Pakistan continues to host approximately 1.7 million refugees. Most are from Afghanistan and live in refugee villages and urban areas. Since March 2002, UNHCR has facilitated the return of approximately 3.7 million registered Afghans from Pakistan. Our history of working with the Government of Pakistan stretches back more than thirty years when the first wave of Afghan refugees entered the country following the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Throughout that time, our key government partner has been the Ministry for States and Frontier Regions. In 2012, UNHCR will support the government in the implementation of its Afghan Management and Repatriation strategy and its focus on facilitating the voluntary return of the remaining Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
Population Profiling, Verification and Response survey report
The Pakistan Ministry of States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON) and the UN Refugee Agency have launched the final report of the Population Profiling, Verification and Response (PPVR) survey of Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
The PPVR survey examined the specific needs of Afghans in Pakistan, and generated a more accurate and detailed description of the refugee population, including information about intention to return to Afghanistan, livelihoods, socio-economic and legal conditions.
- UNICEF and UNHCR join hands to enhance education opportunities for Afghan refugee childrenPublished April 24, 2013
- Germany, UNHCR sign a EURO 10 Million agreement to support refugee hosting districtsPublished April 11, 2013
- RAHA project ensures provision of a new and convenient healthcare facility for refugees and local communitiesPublished April 5, 2013
- Healing old wounds: From the depths of despair, one refugee survived to help thousandsPublished March 25, 2013
- Improved education facilities increase school attendancePublished February 28, 2013
- Video: Afghan refugees decide the time is right to return home. http://t.co/9AcQ68aP4 months ago
- Pakistan survey findings on Afghan refugees out: http://t.co/XTzX4N445 months ago
- UNHCR offers enhanced return package to registered refugees voluntarily returning from Pakistan to Afghanistan. http://t.co/kh4AL2LC7 months ago
- Afghan returns from Pakistan on the rise, overall returns up 34% - read our latest story http://t.co/g65FWEN87 months ago